February 28, 2008

Kleyn's 1st B-day

We had a little party for Kleyn's first birthday with some of our family and neighbors. I made sandwiches and treats and my dad made Kleyn a cake. We wanted to do the traditional thing and let him dive into his cake. I didn't even think about the cake being frozen, so I put it in the fridge instead of just leaving it on the counter. We brought in the little swimming pool so he could make as big a mess as he wanted. When it was time for Kleyn to have his cake, the only thing he could get from it was the black frosting off of the wheels. He got it all over everything and his onsie turned purple. My mom gave him a bath before he opened his presents. Once again, I think I had more fun than he did, but I got some really good pictures, so he'll be able to look back on it at some point.
We had a lot of people get him presents that made noise and they told me that it was purely to annoy me. I guess that's what I get. My dad got Kleyn this little trike that had two wheels on the front and one on the back. I liked it better than the normal ones because when he scooted along on it he didn't catch his back feet in the wheels. When he first got it he was barely big enough to touch the floor, so he figured out how to lean to one side and scoot with one foot. He was pretty hillarious with that little bike. We had it for almost a year when he had some friends over and a bigger kid broke the handle bars. I am still trying to get parts or just order a new bike for him. Every time he sees it he asks me to fix it.
By Kleyn's first birthday he had learned to crawl and walk, learned some sign language, and had the cutest personality. He still didn't have teeth, though. We went to the doctor for his one year check up and I told him that I thought I saw the upper ones about to come through. The doctor assured me that the bottom teeth always come in first. In the next couple of weeks Kleyn got the two front teeth on the top and it took about another month for the bottom ones to come in. I'm so glad to know that the bottom ones always come in and that my baby isn't weird...oh wait! That's right! He's my baby. :)

No comments: