When my parents got divorced my dad would always take us on summer trips to see my grandparents and we always took a day trip to Friday Harbor on the San Juan Islands. My dad always talked about how fun it would be to stay for a while and just tour the whole island. When Danny and I were talking about where to go on our honeymoon,
I mentioned Friday Harbor. We planned it out that we would stop and see my grandparents who couldn't make it to the wedding because they can't travel, and then we would go to Friday Harbor for a week. We left right after our reception on the 12th and stopped in Caldwell for the night. We had a reservation and when we checked in the desk clerk asked me why I
was all dressed up. We told her we were on our honeymoon and she said that a basement corner room was not going to work. She moved us up to one of the suites with a king size bed and jacuzzi tub. We had breakfast at the hotel before we headed off to Washington.Danny's boss let us borrow his convertible Mustang for the week and it was so nice to
drive with the top down in the warm weather. Danny, of course, was driving and I was navigator. I love mapquest. I would have been so lost otherwise. We got to my Aunt Nessa's house and stayed with them for the night. We played games with the cousins, visited with my grandparents, and went to see the ocean. We had fun playing catch up, but I was
really excited to go to Friday Harbor.We parked the car for the week and took the fairy boat over to the island. It meant so much to me that Danny would take me there because I had so many childhood memories of that place. My family used to play mission impossible on the boats so that nobody would get bored. We got to the island and hiked up the hill to the San Juan Inn.
It was a cute little bed and breakfast that was built in one of the islands historic buildings. When I was about fourteen, my dad took us into that building just to check it out. When Danny and I went in we saw the same green couch that I had taken a picture on six years earlier, so I had to take another picture on the couch. We walked around the first day and planned
what we wanted to do the rest of the week. The next day we went to the whale museum and checked out a bunch of the old shops.

We decided to go whale watching on the fourth day. They had a few companies with boats and one that offered kayaking around the island. It would have been awesome to go kayaking, but I'm a really big chicken, so we stuck with the boat. It had been really warm and sunny, but once you get out on that water it gets cold really fast. I'm not quite sure how long we were out
on the water, but we were almost all the way around the island when they told us we might not get to see any whales. A few minutes later they spotted some and turned off the motor. The whales that we got to see were farther away, so I didn't get very good pictures, but they were jumping and playing a lot. It was so fun to be able to see them in their own habitats instead of in tanks. We were getting ready to leave when someone said that they saw a whale on the other side of the boat. The captain was keeping track of it and it swam right under us. I got a picture of it, but it's kind of hard to see.
On the fifth day we took the bus around the island to see the lavender farm, parks, other harbors, vineyards, and the alpaca ranch. We went to the Roche Harbor Village and lavender farms, but then we got stuck at a bus stop. We thought we had missed the bus and didn't know what to do. Finally another bus came and told us that the one we were supposed to be on
had broken down. We got to drive by the other sites, but we didn't get to sop because the bus schedules were all messed up. We had a fun time anyway and I got sunburned...again!
The last day of our honeymoon was not really my favorite. We checked out, took the fairy back to the car, had dinner, and then headed back to the hotel in Caldwell. We stopped in Pendleton, OR for some Subway for dinner. When we got back in the car it wouldn't start. We didn't know exactly what to do, so Danny called a tow truck and got the car towed to the nearest mechanic. They dropped us of at an Econolodge and I had to call and cancel our other reservations.
We were right on the edge of our wireless service providers and our phones wouldn't work. I was starting to get really worried and I was really tired and grumpy. I had three sunburns and I didn't know how we were going to get home. We were trying to figure out if we could take a greyhound bus or something or if we would be able to get the car fixed. Danny walked to the mechanic shop in the morning and figured out that the clutch went out. He decided that we could drive without the clutch as long as he didn't turn the car off. It was definitely an interesting ride home, but we made it and he got to work on the Mustang when he got back to work the next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment