September 9, 2008

Canning

This year I learned how to can apple pie filling, green beans, beets, and how to make pickled beets. It was the first time I got to use my pressure canner and I am just so proud. (What a nerd, right?) The apple pie filling was a complete sticky mess and I'm really nervous to see how they taste. I haven't brought myself to make a pie yet. The beets were terrible. Everything was purple-the counters, my pans, the cutting board, my hands, the floor (I dropped a couple), my clothes, the toilet (ok, so you didn't need to know that last one, but Danny is really amused that beets really do turn EVERYTHING purple). Once again, I'm not sure how they'll taste, but they sure are pretty. :) The green beans were super easy. I really don't like the pickled beets because it just tastes like pickled dirt to me, but Danny and Lysha really liked them and everyone at Danny's worked tried and liked them as well. I guess I can still cook for other people even when I myself and hopelessly picky (not as picky as Challis, though ;)).

2 comments:

Jill said...

I am way impressed with your canning skills! I would love to do it-but know this fall is NOT the time to start. WAY too much on my plate! But good for you for jumping in with both feet. I'm sure everything is great!

Criscell said...

Way to go! I too, am super impressed!