September 9, 2008

Bad Mommy

Bad Mommy #1-I was working on quilts and walked into the other room to get something. I came back and Kaleb had my rotary cutter. I took it away and sent him to go play. I thought the blade was down, but I guess I was wrong because the next time I saw Kaleb he had blood all over the lower half of his body. I grabbed the hydrogen peroxide and cleaned him up and found a clean slice across his right thigh. This kid seems to have a high threshold for pain. The cut didn't bother him and neither did the hydrogen peroxide. The thing that did bug him was the band-aid which was off in a few minutes.

Bad Mommy #2-Kleyn and Kaleb played at the neighbor's yesterday while I ran errands in town. I have gotten so used to Kleyn telling me when he is or is not hungry that I didn't give him breakfast. He had one piece of banana bread before we went to the neighbors, but when we got there and they were having lunch, he said he wasn't hungry, so I didn't make him eat. When we got home Kleyn had been throwing a major tantrum, so he sat in his room while I fed Kaleb. By the time Kleyn was done throwing his tantrum, he was asleep on his floor. He slept through the night, but he woke up at 7 this morning, came into my room, said "Mommy, I need a drink" and then went into the bathroom and threw up. The poor little kid was so hungry that he was dry heaving. His legs were shaking and I couldn't do anything but stand there and try to comfort him. He had a really good breakfast and was fine after that.

Bad Mommy #3-Back in April Kleyn had smashed his finger in his toy chest (there were pictures in a previous post). Danny and I agreed that we needed to find something to make the chest safer. Kleyn stayed away from the toy chest and didn't have any more problems with it, so the safety issue dropped on our priority list (really stupid, I know). Today I was helping Kleyn clean up his room when Kaleb came in and shut the chest on his fingers. At first I thought it was just his right hand and after examining it, thought it was alright. After a few seconds, though, I realized there was blood all over his legs and me. I looked at his other hand and saw that his thumbnail was purple and the underside was bleeding pretty badly. He was screaming and shaking his hand, trying to get the hurt off. After a few attempts I finally got it cleaned and got a band-aid on it (why I thought a band-aid would help a wound that bad I have no idea). It was past his nap time, so I gave him some ibuprofen and he fell asleep in my arms crying. When he woke up he was screaming again and the band-aid was soaked. I changed the bandage and put gauze on it, but he didn't want to leave it alone, so I wrapped an ace bandage around his arm so he would have to leave it on. He seems to be doing fine now. He's walking around, playing, and using his hand, so I think it was just a really bad cut, but I guess we'll see.

On a better note, I must have felt guilty because I made my boys three kinds of cookies today. :) (I was in a baking mood.) I'm surprised with how this week has gone that nothing and nobody got burned.

3 comments:

shells said...

OH! MY BabIES! And MOMA! How is everyone! I thought about you a lot today .. that must be why ;)

I love you and think you are a great mommy. Boys will be boys! :)

Challis said...

Awww you aren't a bad Mommy Kaelynn, you are just a mother of two little happy boys who get themselves into lot's of trouble! Little boys always push the line and have too much energy--that's why we love them so much. By the way, could you come to my house and bake me 3 kinds of cookies?

Katie said...

I don't see any bad mommies!! All I see are curious kids with incredible pain tolerance:-)