August 15, 2012

Star Wars Birthday

We had Kleyn's 7th birthday party today. He wanted a Darth Maul cake, so we decided on a Dark Side theme. We made red invitations with Darth Maul on the front that said "Come to the DARK SIDE...we have cake!"
We made light sabers out of foam insulation and red and grey duct tape.
We also made black robes out of a sheet, but they were better in theory than actual play attire. They kept falling off and getting stepped on.
We made a yoda pinata so that the bad guys could attack the good guy. It took me three tries, but I think it turned out pretty good. I followed my sister-in-laws' directions, but I didn't have newspaper, so we tried to use old phone books. That paper is just a little too thin and didn't hold up very well, so I had Danny's friend, Jason, bring me some thrifty nickels and they worked great. Amazing what you can do with the right supplies.
I was a little bit nervous about the cake because I am not an artist, but I think it turned out pretty well. My dad is amazing at free-handing pictures on cakes, but I was never very good at it, so it's always a little bit intimidating when I attempt it.
The goodie bags had light sabers (licorice ropes), coloring pages and activities, and the candy that they got from the pinata.
Kleyn asked for a Star Wars blanket for Christmas last year (the day before Christmas) so I found him one for his birthday. He was so excited when he opened it that he rushed right in, tore the cars quilt off his bed and made it again with this new soft and comfy blanket. I love that he got so excited about it.
He also got two boxes of legos that he had to put together right away. I could spend hours building things with that kid.
 My mom found this Darth Maul M&M laser pointer. I found a Darth Maul PEZ dispenser. I like the M&M better.
Happy Birthday to my little man. I can't believe I have a 7 year old!

1 comment:

Amy said...

that looked so much fun! the cake and pinata look great. Happy Birthday Kleyn~