May 27, 2009

Washing the washer

I am still terrible at getting pictures posted because I am trying to get scrapbooks done and pictures sorted through for that. I will get pictures from last week up soon, though.
For now, I just have to say how crazy I feel when I have to wash my washer, or clean the vacuum (or peel wallpaper off the wall with my fingernails...which is still not done). I don't know why I never thought of doing that before, but that's just not how I grew up. Nobody told me I needed to take apart the vacuum every now and then to clean it out so that it would work better. Or if they did, I don't remember. When we got home from the Baird family reunion, I was putting clothes in to wash and I wasn't really paying attention to how many I was putting in. I just kept adding more as I was going through because they needed washed and it looked like they fit. Note to self: it looks like they fit because water pushes all the other clothes down and it looks like there's more room, but there's really not. Needless to say, I broke the washer. I was really bummed out because that's all I planned on doing yesterday. I took apart the agitator to figure out what I had broken and in the process, realized that it had been a while since Sandy had showed me how to clean my washer and it needed it again. I felt so smart knowing that I could take apart my washer and put it back together...a big accomplishment for me. When I got that apart and cleaned and figured out that nothing was wrong with it, I had to give up until Danny could come home and look at it. I didn't want to be responsible for breaking something else in the process of trying to figure out how everything else came apart. Danny figured out that it was the coupling something or other on the motor, so he's getting the part for it today. My job is to get the rest of the washer cleaned and back together so it's out of the way for Lysha and Dad Baird to pack her stuff.
Thanks Sandy, for teaching me something about cleaning and maintenance. It seemed silly to me at the time, but getting a $20 dollar part and keeping things running smoothly around here is a lot better than having to go buy a new washer or waiting/paying for someone else to come do it for me.

3 comments:

shells said...

You crack me up. I clean my vacuum all the time. It is on my monthly chore list. :) But i didn't know you could wash your washer. I am pretty sure I would break mine if i tried to take it apart. :)

Krystal said...

That is good to know! I will do a "note to self"- clean my washer! :) Except you are this wonder woman that can totally take things apart and put them back together... I am very impressed and proud of you! The only good thing about having a broken washer is that you have an excuse not to do your laundry :) You're awesome!

shells said...

Hey, I tried calling you. Are you still coming on Thurs?