I just have to say that I think some people get a little silly on Valentine's Day. Every holiday seems to be about getting that "perfect present". How in the heck do you find the perfect present for every holiday every year? And why do people expect the perfect present for every holiday every year? I'm just glad Danny and I are on the same page. I go buy a box of chocolate and something cute and then we plan a nice evening together. Some of the ads I heard on the radio about "how much you love her by how expensive the meal is" and crap like that...really...I just don't get it.
We had a great Valentine's weekend. When I first started planning Valentine's Day I thought we would get a babysitter and go out. Then I remembered...that's what most people do and there are always at least two hour waits. I called my mom and asked if she would take the kids for a night so we could have a nice dinner and a movie night at home. My sister, Shells, called on Saturday and wanted to have Kaleb for a sleepover, so after some figuring, Danny and I got a whole weekend to ourselves. (Well, kind of.) The guys were still out here on Saturday, but they mostly stayed out in the shop and I didn't have any other kids to watch. I got stuff cleaned and dinner made and got to relax a little. Sunday we got to watch movies, have dinner, take a nap with no interruptions (I know that sounds boring, but anyone who has three kids knows how wonderfully amazing that is.), and just hang out together. It was awesome.
One bad thing about the weekend was when we woke up Sunday morning and found that Maggie, our Great Dane, had passed away. We never actually knew how old she was because the shelter where we picked her up said she was 4 or 5 and the vet said she was 5 or 6. Either way, we have had her for about 4 years and she was getting old for a Dane. She had stopped eating and wasn't drinking too well. This winter was hard on her and she slept a lot and couldn't move around. It turned out to be easier taking care of her while the kids weren't here. When I went to pick them up, I told them she was gone and Kleyn said "That's OK. I didn't like all of her hair."
I also got a chance to work out our menu for the month. My visiting teaching companion gave me the idea of doing a month plan of recipes and just multiplying it by 12. There you have a plan for meals for the year, a food storage basis for the year, and Danny doesn't have to hear "What do you want for dinner?" when he walks through the door. (Which is one of things he HATES.) Just like everything else, though, it seems easy at first and then I complicate everything. I try to pick too many recipes I like and too many new recipes I would like to try. Then I just get overwhelmed and don't want to do it anymore. Oh, well. I'll get it figured out. I at least have everything planned until the end of February.
The kids have loved Skyping with Grandma and Grandpa Baird. In Kleyn's prayer tonight all he said was "Thank you that we could talk to Grandma and Grandpa."
1 comment:
Let them know that Grandpa likes talking to them too. It kind of gives a little meaning to this crazy thing I am doing.
Post a Comment