January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

I love having people over. We had a little New Years party, so I made chili, bean dip, bread sticks, cookies, and muddy buddies (I can't seem to have a party without them). We ended up playing the Farming Game for six hours. We finally stopped at almost 2 am when Danny was winning and finally making lots of money. He, of course, wanted to keep playing because he was winning, but I couldn't keep my eyes open. I'm glad our friends are such die-hards. The boys dropped off about 10:30. I don't get Danny to play games that often, so it was a blast.
Since it's a new year I'm making a list of goals I would like to accomplish this year and because I am actually writing them down, I hope it will help me to be more successful. I have heard that helps.
I want to read more and watch less. I don't know what it is about breaking the TV/movie habit that actually makes me sit back and think about the crap I have been watching. It's so easy to sit back and watch something because "nothing else is on" instead of just turning it off. Last year I said I would read the Ensign because my mom had gotten me a two year subscription and I had never picked one up. I have my own subscription now and have read this years and half of the ones I have had sitting here for two years. I'm still behind, but it's still my goal to catch up. I am also going to start a reading list of recommendations from friends.
I am going to start doing preschool lessons with Kleyn. We have talked a lot about home schooling and I would like to start a good routine and see if we could keep up with it. It makes me a little bit nervous and I know that everyone has their own opinion on the matter, but it's something Danny and I have been thinking about ever since we had kids. There's still time to decide, but that's something I would really like to start doing with him. If anyone knows of some good preschool resources or things that are especially helpful let me know.
I would like to try a new dinner every week. Danny likes to try new things, but I am super picky, so I always stick with the safe stuff that I know I like. I want to give him something to look forward to, use more healthy recipes, and hopefully get my boys to try new things as well. As with the book suggestions and preschool suggestions, recipes are also welcomed.
As a family we set a church goal for the year. There are so many things that we are supposed to be doing that sometimes it gets overwhelming. We try to do as much as we can, but I have found that if we focus on one thing and really make it a good habit, it's easier to keep it going while working on something else. This year we are working on going to sacrament every week and family home evening. I know to some these things are so simple, but our little family has struggled. I made it a goal last year not to miss primary because I am the pianist and didn't want to leave them searching for a replacement (which happened the year before more than I would like to admit). I think I only missed four, but it made me realize how many times my boys stayed at home while I went late to play the piano.
I am going to get Kaleb's first year scrapbook done. I had Kleyn's done by this time and I really need to work on it. I have been so overwhelmed with digital photos and organization that I have stopped working on it all together. I also got distracted with quilts. I'm going to try to find a better way to organize pictures for scrapbooking and blogging. Wish me luck. (Once again, suggestions definitely welcome.)
I'm sure there are more things that will come to me, but for now that's my list. I hope everyone had a good New Years celebration and is looking forward to the year to come.

4 comments:

Party of Five said...

I'm so behind on Cecily's 1st year scrapbook too! I think she is only 1 month old in it........
Also, I think your goals are awesome. Mike and I totally struggle with FHE, and it's hard when your kids are little, I know. If you go to the distribution center and look for the nursery manuals, they have a lot of good, simple, short lessons in them. You may already have it, but if not, it's highly recommended :) Hope you're great! I love reading about your cute fam! Hooray for blogs, huh?

Jillyn said...

I sent you an e-mail about some preschool websites. Hope they help!

Derek and Christi said...

Good for you with all your goals! I set a New Years Resolution and didn't even want to tell my husband for fear that he would hold me to it.

I have some book recommendations, Jane Eyre is my favorite book ever! I just read 'The Client' by Jon Grisham and it is very good. Let me know if you get to them.

Hot Cookin' Mama said...

Okay here's my somewhat OCD and maybe annoying way of organizing photos! I have completely given up the scrapbook thing all together..which is awful. But instead I will order a photobook you can create on snapfish or other picture sites with captions and make your own layouts and everything. So I'm just going to make one of those for each of my kids every year.

As for organizing the photos on my computer, the second I upload the pictures from my camera to my computer, I automatically sort them into their folders like Anna yr. 2, Family '08,Christmas '08 ect. and at the end of each year I copy them onto CD's (some of them I'm combine like I'll put all holidays and special occasions on the same CD). Anyways, wow I'm sure you already found a solution and mine is a little crazy hahah! Good luck I'm sure you'll do amazing!