December 20, 2010

My Baby's Hot

Dannika was playing with her big brothers in the front room by the beautiful Christmas tree while I was doing dishes. I heard Kleyn say "Get off the tile, baby girl." (There's tile around our propane fireplace.) I asked him to move her away from the fireplace, which he did, and a few minutes later he said it again and then told me that he couldn't get her because he needed to go to the bathroom. I tried to hurry in to get her, but she started screaming before I got to her. She held up her palms to me and kept wiggling her fingers at me and crying. Her fingertips looked a little pink, but I couldn't see a burn anywhere. After a minute or two she stopped crying and went on playing. I figured she just brushed it or just got close enough to scare her and she was alright. (I'm sure there are many who are thinking what a great mom I am, but things happen. She's the only one out of the three to ever get burned.) About 45 minutes later, she was following me around and she started poking at the back of her left hand. She wasn't crying or whimpering...just poking. She had a burn from the bottom of her fingers down to her wrist that covered half of her hand. It looked like a little blister and formed and popped by her pinkie knuckle and it must have been bothering her because that's what she kept poking at. I can't believe that she wasn't crying or anything. She didn't act like it hurt at all. I called Shurell and she watched the boys while I took Dannika to the Redicare center. They told me they would wash and scrub it and then bandage it up. Because she's so little they wanted her to sit on my lap so she would be comfortable and I could help hold her. They had an absorbent pad to put over her in case she freaked out and got soaked and then brought the bucket over with all of the supplies. She held the bucket for them, watched without a sound as they washed, scrubbed, and dried her hand. They kept saying how good she was and how amazed they were that she wasn't even crying. I really love my little girl and love that everyone else loves her, too. She wasn't too happy when they tried to wrap her arm, though. She doesn't like being held down at all. We have been back for three follow ups and now I just have to keep changing her bandages every day. She's definitely a little trooper and she stays away from the fireplace now.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Tell her grandpa will give her snuggles when she gets here soon. Isn't it great that little hands heal so well. Some of life's simplest lesson come with a little bit of pain. See ya soon.