Danny was watching the news tonight and they showed a short clip about two robberies in town. Kleyn asked if it was real and Danny said yes without really thinking about it and told him that it was close to where my dad lived. He didn't realise how concerned Kleyn was until he had asked a few times if it really happened and if it was really real. When I got home Kleyn told me about the thieves that had baseball bats and knifes.
Kleyn has hardly ever had a hard time going to sleep and, as far as I know, hasn't had nightmares. He likes to watch and play bad guys, cops, guns, swords, dragons, aliens, and all of the other stuff typical boys like to watch and play, and he reenacts anything he happens to see that is action related. This little news clip really bothered him, though. He made the connection that it was real and not a movie and that it really happened in our town and all night he has been so worried that the bad guys are going to break his window and come get him. We reassured him that we would keep him safe and he said a prayer for safety and comfort while we slept tonight. After tucking the boys in, something on the top shelf of his closet fell and he started screaming. I showed him what had made the noise and reminded him that Danny and I were here and that he had asked Heavenly Father to watch over us and keep us safe.
I have had very mixed emotions tonight. I'm kind of sad that we live in a world that the news can make my son scared to go to sleep. I am intimidated thinking of the responsibility I have to watch over and protect these three little lives that I have helped to create. I am grateful to know that Kleyn is learning to have faith and will continue throughout his life to find comfort in his Savior.
No comments:
Post a Comment