March 27, 2008

Maggie

After not having much luck with puppies, we decided not to get a new dog for a while. In December I just got this strange urge to look for a dog. Danny had always wanted a Great Dane, so I started looking online. He said we probably would never have a Great Dane because they were too expensive. After looking at a lot of breeders sites, I started looking at sites for animal shelters to see if they had any dogs Danny and I would like. I found a shelter in Boise and they just happened to have a Great Dane. They had found her on the side of the freeway and nobody had claimed her. Long story short, we adopted her and Danny got his Great Dane. Janae and I drove to Boise to get her in January. She was 107 pounds and just beautiful.
Unfortunately, we got off a little bit too easy. On April 6th, Maggie got hit. I was home all day, but nobody bothered to stop and tell me that they hit my dog. When it started to get dark and she hadn't come to the door I started to get worried. Our other dog, Meesha, started running as soon as I opened the door, so I knew something was up. I followed Meesha out to the barn where I found Maggie. She could turn her head to look at me, but she couldn't get up. It wasn't completely dark, but shaded enough by the barn and I couldn't see very well. Danny got his flashlight out and we went to check her out. My first thought was that Danny was going to have to shoot another dog. We could see blood, but we couldn't mover her enough to see what had happened. Of course this was all on a Friday night, so when we took her to the vet there was a $250 fee for just walking in the door. She had torn open her back left thigh and broken her pelvis. The vet said that it had to have happened earlier in the day because the tissue around the cut was dying. They kept her over the weekend so they could change her bandages and try to get her to eat. She couldn't walk for a week and after she started to walk, it took her a couple more weeks to be able to walk on that leg. She still has a limp after she has been laying down for a while, but she's also getting old. She is now 124 pounds and doing great. Our $50 Great Dane quickly turned into a $900 Great Dane, but we love her to death.

No comments: